You can “pump” the Windows subsystem for Android in Windows 11 by downloading an alternative Google Play Store client called the Aurora Store.
Last week, Microsoft officially announced Windows Subsystem for Android in Windows 11. A preview version of the subsystem is available on the Beta Channel of Windows Insider. The android operating system layer in Windows Subsystem for Android comes without Google Apps, which means there is no official way to download apps from Google Play to Windows 11. Microsoft offers integration with Amazon Appstore, but the current list of approved compatible apps is minimal. In addition, to use Amazon Appstore on Windows for Android, your computer must have the United States region installed, and you will need an Amazon account in the United States.
Fortunately, most of these restrictions can be circumvented. We’ve talked about how you can install Windows Subsystem for Android on any build of Windows 11. Thus, users of stable versions of Windows 11 and insiders using the Dev Channel can test Android applications in the new OS from Microsoft. What’s more, you can run any, even sideloaded apps in Windows 11 using ADB.
If you don’t like to work with the command line, you have a relatively easy way to bypass regional restrictions to use the Amazon Appstore. You won’t need to use a VPN or change your region settings in Windows 11. You can further “pump” the Windows subsystem for Android by downloading an alternative Google Play Store client called the Aurora Store.
How to use the Aurora Store in Windows Subsystem for Android
So, we’ve successfully bypassed the Amazon Appstore’s regional restrictions. Now it’s time to access the Google Play Store. With the open-source third-party Aurora Store client, you can do this without Google Apps and associated proprietary apps.
- Make sure that the Windows subsystem for Android is running and you can access it through ADB. Similar information is available in the instructions: How to run any Android application in Windows 11.
- Download the latest version of the Aurora Store app APK from the official website.
- If you want to access the latest version, select Nightly build. Otherwise, use a stable channel.
- Install the Aurora Store app .apk using ADB:
adb install <filename.apk>
- The Aurora Store shortcut appears on the Start menu. Click on it to open the application.
- Go through the setup wizard and choose how you want to log in. You can sign in anonymously or use your Google account to sync apps.
- Given that you’ve granted all the necessary permissions for the Aurora Store, you can now browse through a huge library of apps and install them instantly.
Are you already using Windows Subsystem for Android, or are you waiting for a stable release? What Android apps would you like to use in Windows 11?