Water ingress into sophisticated equipment is a problem. A person who has the imprudence to turn over a cup of tea (well, if it was sugar-free!) Or a bottle of water risks not saving his beloved gadget. The fact is that the ingress of liquid is fraught with a short circuit or corrosion of the “insides.” If, after getting liquid on the laptop, the device does not react and does not turn on, you must try to save it.
What to do with spilled water?
- First of all, you need to de-energize the gadget and remove the power source (battery). Do not try to turn off the laptop inside the system; it would be much more correct to unplug the power cord. After turning off the device, you do not need to try to turn it on to check its functionality. Such an error can cost the user the ultimate “loss” of the device.
- The next step is to disconnect all connected devices from the device, such as mouse, flash drives, various adapters, etc.
- After that, it is recommended to turn the laptop over so that water cannot flow further along the case. Modern devices often have a certain level of moisture resistance. If a little water is spilled, there may be no consequences. In the case of the “ancient” laptop, things can be much worse. The housing should be wiped with dry towels and left upside down to dry.
What if tea is spilled?
When the device is flooded with water, it is not particularly scary. But if you spill other drinks, for example, tea, soda, or juice, the situation is slightly worse. The main danger for the gadget is not the drinks themselves, but sugar and acid, which are necessarily present in the composition. The sugar in the tea will cause the keys to stick, and various acids from soda will destroy the circuit boards inside the case.
There are only two options left: take the laptop for repair or restore the device yourself.
- First of all, you need to do the disassembly of the laptop. It’s not exactly an easy procedure, but there are tons of detailed tutorials for all popular YouTube models. Wet parts must be gently wiped off and left to dry.
- When sticky parts or plaque were found on the surface of the motherboard, it is necessary to clean it with a toothbrush, after which it is worth rubbing the part with alcohol.
- It would help if you dried the “stuffing” of a laptop without using devices like a hairdryer. You need to put all wet parts on a dry surface and wait a while.
- After two days of drying, you can try to turn on the device to check the functionality. If the text is typed normally, and there are no “artifacts” on the screen, you can safely continue working on it.
Have you ever filled your gadgets with liquid?