The emergence of modern technologies has greatly simplified people’s lives and many areas of their activity. Unfortunately, along with the advantages, there were several disadvantages. One of these is cheating in various ways on exams. Students carry phones into the classroom, write inconspicuous cheat sheets, and so on. As a result, the test score is dishonest and the expert cannot objectively assess the examinee’s knowledge. In order to avoid unpleasant situations during both face-to-face and online studying, a proctoring system was invented.
ProctorEdu software for exams is the most qualitative and effective solution. The system allows taking the test calmly, quickly, and honestly, checking knowledge fully.
The online platform has prepared several features for users:
- The honesty of evaluation. With automatic verification, the student’s results are carefully reviewed and biometric identity checks are carried out.
- Mobile device support. ProctorEdu also works on Android and iOS gadgets.
- Ease of operation. The integration works fine in the browser and doesn’t require additional extensions.
- Convenient online communication via video chats and calls. The student has the opportunity to communicate with a proctor in real-time.
Proctoring systems are especially effective in the framework of corporate training when it’s necessary to cover a large number of examinees located, for example, in different parts of the country and the world, or when a large company needs to evaluate a lot of its employees at once. One proctor can monitor up to 30 exam participants online.
How Does the System Work?
To use the proctoring system, webcams, computers with a stable internet connection, and a simple program for recording from a computer screen is needed. For a more visual explanation of the operation’s principle, imagine a scenario: a specialist needs to take an online exam at a training center on the other side of the country.
To do this, a student will need to turn on a computer at the appointed time and log in to the distance learning system. Then he must turn on the webcam, permit recording from his computer screen to the proctor (administrator-observer), and wait for verification. If everything is in order with the documents and accesses, the proctor starts the exam.
During the exam, it’s forbidden to search for answers on the Internet, to use someone’s tips and cheat sheets, and to leave the field of view of the webcam. If the examinee violates the rules of conduct, the proctor can issue a warning to him, end the exam ahead of time or cancel his results.
For group tests or exams, a larger number of proctors are used, computer screens are recorded, and the behavior of the audience is recorded by surveillance cameras.
What Are the Types of Proctoring Systems?
Proctoring is a procedure for monitoring the progress of a remote test. Researchers distinguish the following proctoring systems:
- Passive monitoring of software on examinees’ computers. In simple terms, in the process, the expert monitors the applications that students work with on their PCs, including switches to other services during the exam.
- Active software restriction on students’ computers. With the help of special applications, access to other apps is closed during an exam.
- Passive video surveillance. Online control takes place without an examiner and human participation. Video and sound are recorded, suspicious human behavior is automatically detected and violations are recorded.
- Active video surveillance. It’s implemented similarly to passive, but with the addition of real-time monitoring. One proctor (observer) can monitor several students at the same time.
Now such technologies make it much more difficult to cheat. According to the experience of the entrance exams, the level of cheating is no more than in the classroom or even less because it’s possible to save the exam record and return to it later.
Advantages of Proctoring in Education
The proctoring system provides a lot of advantages for both students and educational organizations. Among the main ones, it’s worth highlighting the following:
- flexibility in choosing the day and time of the exam;
- the ability to take the exam from anywhere in the world — the student doesn’t have to take leave to go to the test center;
- calm environment — unlike the stressful environment of the test center, a home or other familiar environment helps to focus on exam questions;
- confidentiality, when passing in the test center, people of some professions or well-known people in their professional circle feel uncomfortable;
- proctoring systems involve taking the exam using a keyboard rather than writing by hand, which can be more time-consuming and risk misunderstandings;
- saving the travel costs to the test center;
- fast receipt of results with automated verification;
- the ability to choose the form of taking the exam: offline or online.
At first glance, it may seem that the proctoring system in e-learning is too strict. In fact, it’s much easier to pass the exam with it than with a teacher.