Table of Contents
In this article, we will learn How to move files between Android and macOS.
Are you trying to connect Android to MacBook or iMac to transfer files via USB, but MAC can’t see the phone? This is a very common problem with android and MAC environments and you need special tools to move files between Android and macOS.
Before Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, everything was fine, all smartphones or tablets connected were displayed as a flash drive (if you speak correctly the UMS or Universal Mass Storage protocol) and it was easy to share files between devices.
In the latest versions of Android, a new data transfer protocol MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) was introduced, after which it will not be possible to simply transfer files to the Mac. Therefore, Google has created a special program for sharing files called Android File Transfer.
Android File Transfer allows you to move absolutely any file – music, videos, photos, documents.
In this article, we will cover all these issues and will help you in moving files between Android and macOS. We will also share some alternative ways to transfer files if Android File Transfer does not work.
How to move files between Android and macOS
Method 1: MacDroid: Android file transfer app for reliable and smooth connection
MacDroid Android File Transfer for Mac lets you connect your Android device to your Mac. It mounts it as a regular file system on your Mac. With MacDroid, you can easily transfer media (including entire folders) between your Mac and Android device in no time at all. Just make sure your devices both have a USB cable before the transfer begins.
1: Download and install MacDroid: Connect Android phone to Mac by using a USB cable.
2. To get started with Android File Transfer, you’ll need to turn on access to your device on your Mac. To do this, open the Devices option in the sidebar and click “Always allow” when Android File Transfer asks you for access.
3. That’s all you need to do! You can now view data on your device in Finder.
Here is a complete video tutorial that might help.
Method 2: Using Android File Transfer
- Go to the official Android website.
- Download Android File Transfer and install it on Mac.
- Connect your Android smartphone or tablet and select the “USB Data Transfer” connection.
- Start Android File Transfer
- In the opened window of the Android File Transfer program, which will display the contents of the internal memory of Android, you can copy the necessary files, or move everything to Mac
Method 3: Using the ShareMe app
Android File Transfer doesn’t work? Here is an alternative way to move files between Android and macOS over Wi-Fi. If Android File Transfer doesn’t work, don’t be discouraged there is another way to share files between Mac and Android!
- Download and install the ShareMe app (Mi Drop).
- Launch the application and activate Connect to Computer.
- Install CyberDuck on your Mac and run it
- Specify the connection settings received from MI Drop – IP address and port (in this example, 192.168.0.100 is IP and 2121 is port)
- Now you can freely share files between Mac and Android
You can also read: How to Transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone
Conclusion: How to move files between Android and macOS?
I hope this article on how to move files between android and macOS was helpful. If you know any better ways, please do share with our readers in the comment section below. Also, if you face any issues in moving files between android and macOS, feel free to get in touch with us.
Do you still have questions? Write them in the comments, tell them what you did or vice versa!