In this article, we will tell you How to Create an Installation Bootable Drive for macOS 12 Monterey. Thanks to Bootable Drive, you can install the beta version of the system on several computers, while each time without downloading it. You can also do a clean installation and use the recovery mode built into the installer.
You will need an empty flash drive of at least 16 GB. You can also use an SD card if your Mac has a slot for it. An external hard drive will do.
So far, the beta version of macOS Monterey is only available to developers. The public beta will be released in July. In this tutorial, we will talk about the version for developers.
We also recommend that you check if your Mac supports macOS Monterey.
Before installing macOS Monterey, you should look into this guide- How to prepare your Mac before upgrading to macOS Monterey
Which devices can be upgraded to macOS Monterey
- iMac (2015 and newer)
- iMac Pro (2017 and newer)
- Mac Pro (2013 and newer)
- Mac mini (2014 and more)
- MacBook Pro (2015 and newer)
- MacBook Air (2015 and more)
- MacBook (2016 and newer)
How to Create an Installation Bootable Drive for macOS 12 Monterey
1) Download the macOS 12 Beta installer on your device.
- Users with a developer account can download the installer from Apple’s developer site.
- Others will have to download the installer from the the Beta Program of Apple. You can simply register for free and download the macOS Public Beta Installer. You can use this guide.
2) When the download is complete, your Mac will launch the macOS 12 installer. For now, close it, go to the folder with the programs and find the installer in it. Do not change its name or move the installer.
3) Format your flash drive using the GUID Partition Map and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in Disk Utility.
4) Name the formatted USB flash drive for convenience.
5) Start Terminal and paste this command:
sudo /Applications/Install macOS 12 Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --nointeraction
- Remove “–nointeraction” from the command so that you are prompted for confirmation before formatting.
- The “-downloadassets” part downloads items that may be needed during installation. This is especially useful for offline installation.
- Using “-applicationpath” will lead to an error, so it is better not to change anything in the command above.
6) Press Enter and enter your password when prompted.
The install macOS 12 Beta file should appear on your desktop.
Second method [updated]
- Download macOS Monterey Beta on your Mac so that Install macOS Monterey Beta.app appears in the applications folder. [You can simply register for free and download the macOS Public Beta Installer. You can use this guide.]
- Connect the USB drive to your Mac.
- Rename the USB flash drive to something like “MontereyBetaUSB”.
- Start Terminal on Mac.
- Enter the following command, replacing “MontereyBetaUSB” with the name of your flash drive:
Beta version for developers:
sudo /Applications/Install macOS 12 Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MontereyBetaUSB --nointeraction
Public beta version:
sudo /Applications/Install macOS Monterey beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MontereyBetaUSB --nointeraction
- Press Enter and enter your password.
The process will take some time, so be patient. After that, you will receive a flash drive with the macOS Monterey beta installer!
How to start Intel Mac with macOS Monterey flash drive
- Connect the USB flash drive to your Intel Mac.
- Restart your Mac and immediately press the OPTION key.
- Select the macOS Monterey 12 Beta installer from the startup menu.
How to Run Apple Silicon/M1 Mac with macOS Monterey Flash Drive
- Connect the USB flash drive to your ARM Mac.
- Turn on your Mac by holding down the power button, and keep holding the button until the startup menu appears.
- Select macOS Monterey Beta from the menu.
The installer itself runs the same on all kinds of Macs.
Now you can enjoy the new features of macOS Monterey on your device!
Conclusion: Create an Installation Bootable Drive for macOS 12 Monterey
I hope this article on How to Create an Installation Bootable Drive for macOS 12 Monterey was simple and easy. If you face any issues, you can comment below. Also here are some common errors that you might face after installation- How to Fix Common macOS Monterey Errors